Child Care Options

Complaints and Expulsion & Suspension Policy

Steps to Finding the Best Child Care for Your Family

Once you decided on and start using the right child care provider for your family there will be many positive situations. There may also be some negative situations. Here are some resources for those special situations.

Filing a Complaint against a Child Care Facility
For complaints about possible child abuse or neglect at a child care facility, you need to contact the Child Abuse Report Line 24/7 at (800) 292-9582.

The Office of Child Care Licensing investigates complaints about possible violations of licensing rules by child care facilities. It has no authority to investigate financial matters nor does it investigate personal disputes.


To file a complaint about a child care facility, call (302) 892-5800 in New Castle County. In Kent or Sussex Counties dial (302) 739-5487 or (800) 822-2236 or file a confidential complaint online.


Suspension and Expulsion in Delaware Early Childhood Programs

When considering a child care provider for your child, ask them about their policies. They should have a family manual that outlines many different situations and the procedures followed. One important example is how they handle behavior.

Delaware is committed to ensuring that all of our children receive the best early education possible by using a proactive and systemic approach to building resilience, and finding alternatives to preschool suspension and expulsion. Using this as a foundation, Delaware has developed this “Best Practice Statement for the Prevention of Expulsion and Suspension from Early Childhood Programs.”

See the draft statement

Consumer Education is designed to help parents access information in order to make informed consumer choices
and to strengthen requirements to protect the health and safety of children in care.