- The hours of operation fit my needs.
- I can afford the fees.
- The program is licensed.
- I understand and agree to the policies and procedures this provider follows.
- The place is clean and well-maintained.
- The setting is bright, cheerful and smells okay.
- The facility is safe. (Areas are easy to supervise, hazardous cleaning materials are out of reach, electrical outlets are covered, furniture is sturdy, etc.)
- There is a plan for emergencies and first aid kits are readily available.
- There is enough space for a variety of activities (indoor/outdoor, nap, diapering, eating, etc.)
- There is a place for children’s personal belongings.
- Teaching staff has adequate training and experience with children.
- There are enough teachers to give individual attention and cover when absences/illnesses occur.
- Positive behavior management techniques are used. (Hint: Limits are consistent and gentle. Children are given choices.)
- The teacher and children seems to like each other and be happy.
- The teacher is warm, friendly and patient.
- The teacher offers appropriate physical comfort in a loving and caring way. (For example holding young children, hugs, holding hands, etc.)
- The teacher is actively involved with the children throughout the day.
- The teacher understands what is developmentally appropriate for children of different ages.
- The teacher responds quickly to children’s needs.
- There is a written daily schedule posted that shows a balanced daily routine. There are active/quiet times, indoor/outdoor times, with varied and age-appropriate activities.
- There are times children work as a group and times when they can be alone.
- The schedule can be adjusted as needed to accommodate the children’s needs and moods.
- There are enough safe, appropriate toys and equipment within reach of the children.
- Boys and girls are equally encouraged to participate in a variety of activities.
- The number of teachers with each group of children allow for personal attention to be given to each child.
- Parents can make unannounced visits at any time.
- Parents can speak with the provider when they have questions or concerns.
- There is a system of regular communication sent home to inform the parents about the child’s experiences during child care.
- Parents meet with the provider on a regular basis to discuss progress and goals.
- There are quiet individualized places for children to sleep when needed.
- Feeding and diapering routines are done in a loving, patient manner.
- Diapers are frequently checked, changed and documented.
- Diapering area is clean.
- Babies have space and freedom to play, climb and crawl.
- Teaching staff responds quickly and appropriately to crying.
- I am comfortable with the transportation arrangements to and from school.
- There is quiet space and time allowed for homework.
- There is freedom and flexibility after a structured school day.
- References from parents are available.
- I would be happy here if I were a child.
- I feel comfortable leaving my child here.