Financial Assistance

Learn where to get help to pay for what your family needs.

Children are expensive! When income levels are below the limits, there is help available to families that struggle to pay for child care and other services.
Little black girl with piggy bank, studio shot, copy space

Visit Delaware Assist’s website at http://assist.dhss.delaware.gov to see if you qualify and to apply for a variety of these services online.

Applications can also be submitted to any local Division of Social Services office in person, by fax, or by mail. To determine the location that serves you visit, http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dss/ofclocations.html

The following programs are offered by the  Delaware Division of Health and Social Services (DHSS).

Child Care Assistance-Purchase of Care (POC)
Child Care Assistance-Purchase of Care is a program that provides support for families to pay for child care. Child care allows caretakers to hold a job, obtain training or meet special needs of the child or parent. If you are working, you may have to pay a portion of your child care expenses.

If you are qualified for Purchase of Care (POC) you can receive additional help finding child care. Call 1-800-734-2388 to speak to a child care specialist.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is Delaware’s main cash assistance program. The goal of TANF is to give people temporary help until they get a job.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps people with low incomes pay their energy bills.

Food Assistance

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a food supplemental program that enables low-income families to buy food that is the basis for better nutrition.

Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) is a federal nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well, learn about nutrition, and stay healthy.

The Delaware Department of Education Nutrition Programs include:

  • the National School Lunch Program,
  • the School Breakfast Program,
  • the Child and Adult Care Food Program,
  • the Summer Food Service Program,
  • the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, and
  • The Special Milk Program.

For serving healthy food to children, organizations get paid to fight hunger and obesity. Examples of participants include:

  • schools
  • child care centers
  • family child care providers
  • after-school programs
  • non-profit organizations.

Medical Assistance
The Division of Social Services provides six main types of medical assistance services. Learn what they are and if you qualify for help.

Consumer Education is designed to help parents access information in order to make informed consumer choices
and to strengthen requirements to protect the health and safety of children in care.